Texturized Vegetable Protein is one of my favorite products as a vegetarian. It is a simple replacement in meals that are usually meat based and it is full of great nutrients which can be difficult to replace in a vegetarian diet. In just a 1/4 cup, there’s 13g of protein and 10% DV of iron.
TVP can be difficult to find depending on the area you live in, but it’s usually available through Bob’s Red Mill site or Thrive Market. If you are checking in the grocery store, it should be in the health food/organic section, near polenta or almond flour.
This is one of the first meals I created after becoming a vegetarian and one that we have probably once or twice a month because it’s so simple and family friendly. It goes well with all kinds of sides so its easy to mix it up.
First dice up 1/2 an onion and one bell pepper. Throw the onion, bell pepper, and one tsp minced garlic into a large skillet with a tsp or two of olive oil. Saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic over medium to high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes until the onion is translucent and the bell pepper has softened a bit.
Drop temperature to medium low. Add 1 cup of TVP to the skillet with 15 oz of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, 2 tbsp of tomato paste, a pinch of red pepper flakes, a dash of oregano, salt and pepper and 2 tsp of Annie’s (vegan) Worcestershire sauce (you can use any brand but some brands have anchovies, so that’s up to you). Stir and combine well. Let mixture sit on low to medium heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until it has thickened and warmed through.
Serve on burger buns or kaiser rolls, with some starchy sides and vegetables.
TVP Sloppy Joe’s
- 1 medium bell pepper
- ½ an onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- olive oil
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP)
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Annie’s (Vegan) Worcestershire sauce (or any brand, see note above)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- dash of oregano
- salt and pepper
- 6 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls
- 6 slice of cheddar cheese (optional)
- Dice bell pepper and 1/2 an onion. Saute onion, pepper and garlic over medium high heat until peppers are tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of TVP, 15 oz canned tomato sauce, ½ cup of vegetable broth, 2 tbsp tomato paste, a pinch of red pepper flakes, a dash of oregano, salt and pepper, and 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Let mixture simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened.
- Serve on roll of choice with or without cheese.