This is a recipe based off one my mom originally made. I can’t say I’ve made anything with cabbage in the past 10 years of cooking. It’s just not something that I ever think of to use but it works perfectly in this soup. I’ll admit, it’s a bit of a longer cook time than most things I cook as well, at about an hour or so. However, it’s full of flavor, filled with great vegetables and makes tons of left overs so you have to cook less during the week so that’s a win!
Begin by dicing a whole onion, 2 stalks of celery, and 2 carrots (I used 8 baby carrots). Place these in a large soup pot with 1/2 a tsp of garlic and a dollop of oil. Saute this for about 5-10 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Add 8 cups of broth, 15 oz diced tomatoes, 1 bouillon cube, 1 tsp of Italian seasonings, and 1/2 a head of finely chopped cabbage. For the cabbage, I make very thin slices at an angle throughout the half head of cabbage. If it’s a wider cut, I just cut it in half then. After adding the above ingredients, bring the soup to boiling, then drop the temperature to simmering. Let the cabbage cook down for about 10-15 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of barley and 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. Let this simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is fully cooked.
Cabbage and Barley Soup
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- olive oil
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1/2 a head of cabbage
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
- Dice onion, celery, and carrot. Place these in a large soup pot with 1/2 tsp garlic and a bit of olive oil. Saute the veggies until the onions are translucent.
- Add 15 oz of diced tomatoes, 8 cups of vegetable broth, 1 vegetable bouillon cube, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 a head of finely diced cabbage.
- Bring the soup to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once the soup is boiling, turn the heat to medium and allow the cabbage to cook down for about 10-15 minutes.
- After the cabbage has cooked down a bit, add 1/2 a cup of barley and 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetable. Allow this to simmer for about 45 minutes.