It’s a shame there’s no stock in lentils, or like a lentil sponsor. I’d be a great lentil spokesperson. We literally use them every week in at least one way. They make excellent food for new eaters (aka my 7 month old), great in baked goods, soups, puff pastry fillings, as a meat alternative. Lentil Taco Salad is my go-to for lunch, but the recipe is for the taco flavored lentils in general. They are perfect for tacos, burritos, lentil taco salad, on a bun like a sloppy joe, serve your favorite way! .
You’re basically just making lentils, but it’s the seasonings that do all the heavy lifting. Rinse 2/3 cup of brown lentils and place it in a medium pot with 2 cups of water. Add 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, a pinch of red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp of cayenne. Bring this all to a boil. Once boiling, drop the temp to medium so it simmers for about 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Voila! That’s it, now serve how you see fit!
Note to those who didn’t read the above: While this is titled Lentil Taco Salad, the recipe is only for the ingredients for the seasoned lentils as these can be used for many meals.
Lentil Taco Salad
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cups brown lentils (rinsed)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Greens, taco shells, burrito, or burger bun depending on how you plan to eat it!
- Rinse the lentils, then combine in a medium pot with 2 cups of water and all other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling drop the temp to medium and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Serve in your preferred way: tacos, burritos, sloppy joe’s, lentil taco salad, etc.