This week we celebrated my mom’s birthday. For dinner I made Lentil Zucchini Oat Burgers and I thought it was the perfect time to try out another recipe from her mom’s cook book. Unfortunately, only half of the meal turned out good (the burgers, they are delicious, try them!). Not that the apple crisp wasn’t “good”, it literally was just good, not great, not awesome, not delicious…good. For a perfectionist like me, good isn’t good enough.
The original recipe didn’t specify whether to remove the skin, which I thought would be fine. However, I made a few changes because I wanted more apple and more crumble than the recipe called for. This was the result, unfortunately, not overly pretty.
So I went back to the drawing board. This time I fully peeled, sliced and cored the apples. I used the same peeler/slicer/corer that I talked about in Crockpot Applesauce.
So here’s where the delicious Apple Crisp started. Begin by peeling/slicing/coring 8 apples. Spray a 9×13 with cooking spray and preheated the oven to 375. Quarter your apples and layer them on the bottom of the 9×13. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of water and 1 tsp of cinnamon across the apples.
In a separate large bowl, combine 1 cup of flour, 1/2 a cup of oats, 8 tbsp of butter, and 3/4 cup of sugar. Combine this until it creates crumbles. I used a mixer to get the crumbles but you can use your hands, or start with a mixer and switch to hands if it doesn’t start coming together. Pour about 1/2 of the crumbles over the apples, use your hands to shake it down a bit between the apple pieces, then pour the rest of the crumbles along the top.
Place in the oven at 375 for 40-45 minutes until the top is lightly brown. Serve with whip cream or vanilla ice cream, wonderful by itself also. If you enjoy this, please check out Grandma’s Apple Twists!
Grandma’s Apple Crisp
- 8 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 8 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Peel, slice, and core 8 apples, then quarter the apples. Place the apple slices into a prepared 9×13 baking dish. Pour 2 tbsp of water over the apples followed by 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of oats, 8 tbsp butter, and 3/4 cup of sugar. Mix these well until they turn into crumbles.
- Pour 1/2 the crumbles over the apples. Using your fingers, shake the crumbles down between the apples, then pour the other 1/2 of the crumbles on top.
- Place the 9×13 into a preheated (375) oven for 40-45 minutes until lightly brown.