Growing up there was this little pizza shop near us that served wonderful taco pizza. It’s been probably 10 years since I’ve last had taco pizza and I decided to make my own. I used the 2-ingredient pizza dough and a homemade taco-ish seasoning but this would easily work with store bought crust and a packet of taco seasoning.
Begin by combining 1/2 a cup of TVP with 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 cayenne, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 3/4 cup of water. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and let sit 5-10 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile make 2-ingredient pizza dough. Place 2 cups of self-rising flour in a large bowl with 2 cups of plain greek yogurt. Gently fold the yogurt into the flour. Initially use a spatula, but once mostly combined it will likely to be easier to finish combining by hand. Roll the dough into a ball and lay it out on a floured work surface.
Roll the dough out into a circular shape, as best as possible. I split my dough into one small ball of dough, one medium large because my husband doesn’t like any kind of condiment and I was determined to replicate the restaurant pizza, which required dressing. So he got his own pizza.
Anyways, once you roll out the pizza transfer the rolled out dough to a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Spread 1/2 cup salsa across the dough leaving the edge for crust, then add about 1 cup of cheese, 6 quartered cherry tomatoes, 1 thinly sliced bell pepper, and 3 tbsp of the cooked TVP.
Place the pizza in the oven (preheated to 425) and bake for about 15-20 minutes. The pizza is done once the edges start turning lightly brown and the cheese has fully melted. Remove the pizza and add a few pinches of shredded lettuce, a drizzle of ranch, and a small handful of crunched up chips. Serve and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup TVP
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 6 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- shredded lettuce
- ranch dressing
- optional: crunched up tortilla chips, olives
- In a sauce pot, combine TVP with cumin, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder and water. Bring this to a boil then remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Begin making your pizza dough. Combine 2 cups greek yogurt with 2 cups of self-rising flour. This gets very sticky so begin mixing with a spatula, once flour coats the yogurt you may have to use your hands to finish combining.
- Sprinkle a work surface with a bit of flour then lay the dough out. Roll the dough out until it’s semi circular. Alternatively, you can break it in half and make 2 pizzas which is what we usually do.
- Transfer dough to a prepared baking sheet. Place 1/2 cup of salsa in center and spread around evenly.
- Add all remaining topping except lettuce, dressing, chips and olives (if using).
- Place pizza in the oven at 425 for 15-20 minutes until crust is lightly brown and cheese has fully melted.
- Once the pizza is done, remove from the oven and add the last of the toppings (lettuce, dressing, chip crumbles) before cutting and serving.