Admittedly, while this recipe is mine, the idea was not. I had a co-worker a few years back who told me about them. I forgot about them for years until recently and they’ve been a huge hit with my husband and kids. Frankly, I’m really not an eggplant fan. I don’t mind it diced and roasted with other vegetables but I struggle with it in many other forms. However, with eggplant pizza, you don’t get that mushy texture that sometimes happens with eggplant. So if you think you don’t like eggplant, give this a try and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Begin by slicing the eggplant in to 12 slices. You want the slices to be on the thicker side. Too thin and they will be difficult to remove from the baking sheet. Discard the top and bottom pieces and place the slices on a baking sheet (with parchment paper/silpat mat). Preheat the oven to 400.
Pour 1/4 cup of oil in to a small bowl. Brush the oil on top of each slice. Place the baking sheets in the oven for 15 minutes. If you prefer it to be more crispy than tender, 15 minutes should do it. If you prefer it more tender (closer to “mushy”) 20 minutes should work. Once they have cooked, remove from the oven and drop the temperature to 350.
Gather the toppings. You will need about 1 1/2 cups of canned crushed tomatoes, 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasonings, 2 cups of mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Spread the crushed tomatoes on each of the slices, followed by a sprinkle of Italian seasonings on each slice. Finally, top each slice with mozzarella and a sprinkle of bread crumbs.
Place the baking sheets in the oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese has fully melted.
- 1 eggplant
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 2 cups mozzarella
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Slice eggplant into 12 slices, keeping them on the thicker side. If they are too thin, they will be hard to remove from the try. Discard the top and bottom and place the slices on a prepared baking sheet. Preheat oven to 400.
- Pour 1/4 cup of oil and brush the oil on top of each slice. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheets and drop the oven temperature to 350. Spread the sauce, Italian seasoning, mozzarella, and bread crumbs on each slice.
- Place the pizzas back in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted.